Tuesday, June 2, 2015

finding peace

There aren't really a lot of places that I find total comfort in, if any really. Anywhere I go, there's always stress or anxiety on my mind, always focusing on another world. If I had to choose one place though, it's definitely somewhere outside. Being out in nature just gives a certain connected spirit to the world that I can't really find anywhere else. Something about waking up at 5 in the morning, sitting on the porch with an infinite amount of coffee, and just staring off into the distance getting lost in my own world listening to the sounds of the world around me brings me into a place of total peace. I can't really get that anywhere else I go, no matter how hard I try.  Finding peace in the world hasn't really ever been easy for me it seems. There's always yelling, fighting, a dog barking, my stupid chickens screaming their heads off for no reason, Lily punching and fighting me; always something different, or all at once. When I do find peace though, it brings a feeling of absolute content over me. I think that if we were always at peace, we'd get bored with life. Deadlines, drama, excitement, life; this is what we live for. It's getting up everyday into chaos and a list of tasks to complete that brings meaning into our lives, something to accomplish and something to look back on and say, damn, I did all that. When we leave the fray and go into our peaceful places, it's only temporary. And that's the way it should be. We all need peace in our lives sometimes, but life isn't peaceful; it's hectic, and if you're always in peace then you're not living it.

3 comments:

  1. Your voice that I love hearing very much was really brought out in this piece, and I completely agree that isolation, even if it's only for a moment, keeps one sane. Pretty sure grammatically your piece was flawless (even though I have the grammar of a dog, and wouldn't really know) but stylistically I loved reading it, and can't wait to keep reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a really hard time coming up with my favorite place, I don't really have one, and the fact that life is not about the peaceful times but the chaos and drama is super insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your reaction to all the stress and chaos of life by connecting with nature and drinking coffee is great and your idea that chaos brings about the meaning of life is very interesting. Also, the thought that although peace can bring happiness it is never permanent is insightful.

    ReplyDelete